Having a beard can be hard work, which is why the majority of men choose to shave instead of growing one out. The trick is knowing how to maintain a beard, if you don’t it can become brittle, uncomfortable and very unhealthy. If you are trying to impress the girl of your dreams an unattractive beard is not going to get you any brownie points! Beard oil has become extremely popular in recent years, with proper and regular use, it will give you that soft, silky feeling that you have always desired.
It might be hard to choose the right beard oil from the tons of new released on the market everyday. That’s why we’ve put together a detailed list of top 10 beard oils in 2022.
What is beard oil?
It is oil that has been specifically designed for the beard, and the skin surrounding it. The oil not only moisturizes and conditions the beard; it also does the same for your face so giving it a healthy look and feel. In order for your beard to grow effectively your skin must be hydrated, nourished and the pores healthy.
There are plenty of oils on the market, some of them are good, and some of them are bad, you will need to spend time locating the brand that works best for you.
If you are new to the inner workings of beard oil, here are some helpful hints and tips to assist you in finding what is right for you.
There are a wide range of oils that are available, and knowing which one to choose can be quite confusing, learning about the basic essentials will make the process of selecting beard oil a lot less tedious.
- ARGAN OIL: Often referred to as “liquid gold,” argan oil is native to Morocco, it is an organic product extracted from the Argan tree. It is rich in fatty acids and vitamin E, making it extremely beneficial for the hair and skin. It has been proven to make the hair silkier, softer, and shinier.
- JOJOBA OIL: Jojoba oil is the liquid found in the seed of the jojoba plant. It is native to northwestern Mexico, southern California, and southern Arizona. It contains several nutrients that are beneficial for the hair and skin including vitamin B and E, chromium, zinc, copper, and iodine. Jojoba oil unclogs hair follicles and soothes the skin, it is an emollient, therefore it moisturizes the skin and prevents it from getting rough, dry and scaly. Jojoba oil is known to replenish moisture within the hair, improve texture, add shine and softens the hair.
- GRAPESEED OIL: Grapeseed oil is extricated from the seeds of grapes, it is high in vitamin E and fatty acids, it also contains linoleic acid which assists in soothing and nourishing the skin. Grape seed oil promotes healthy hair growth making it look shiny. It absorbs into the hair strengthening each strand from the roots. It also softens the cuticle which aids in preventing fizzy growth.
- SWEET ALMOND OIL: Almond oil is rich in monosaturated fatty acids, potassium, zinc, protein, and vitamin E. It keeps the skin soft and supple as well as protecting it from UV radiation damage, and oxidative stress. The hair shaft benefits from almond oil keeping it moisturized so that you do not produce dry and brittle hair. It gives the hair sheen, and leaves it tangle free.
- CASTOR OIL: Castor oil is high in proteins, beneficial fatty acids, ricinoleic acid, vitamin E, omega 6 and omega 9. The antioxidants in castor oil support the keratin in hair making it stronger, less frizzy and smoother. It also thickens the hair and causes it to grow longer than normal.
- COCONUT OIL: Obtained from the cultivated fruits of coconut trees, coconut oil protects, moisturizes and nourishes the skin. It promotes healthy hair growth, absorbing deep into the follicles. Coconut oil moisturizes the hair, adding shine, luster and softness.
- VITAMIN E OIL: Vitamin E is an antioxidant that assists in repairing and building tissue; it repairs damage to the follicles and promotes healthy hair growth. It acts as a deep conditioner penetrating the roots making it shiny and healthy and preventing premature graying. Vitamin E also provides nourishment and moisture for the skin.
Top 11 Beard Balms of 2022 – Beard balms are another great way to sytle and condition your beard at the same time.
Top 10 Best Beard Trimmers of 2022 – Complete buyer’s guide: Trim your beard with some of the top-notch tools!
Top 10 Best Beard Bibs of 2022 – Enjoy trimming your awesome beard and don’t waste time cleaning the trimmed hair.
How to use beard oil?
Now that you are familiar with the type of oils that are available to you, it would help if you knew what to do with the oil once you have it.
As with any beauty regime, there is a process that you are going to have to go through. I understand that men can be lazy when it comes to appearance; however, you can’t just paste the oil on and expect to achieve the desired results, you are going to have to follow a specific regime.
If you have just started to grow your beard you will not need to use as much oil. To begin with, you will only need to use 3-4 drops of oil. If you have been growing your beard for 2-3 months, you will need to use approximately 4 – 6 drops of oil.
As your beard continues to grow you will need to increase the amount that you use, as you can see, you will typically add an extra 2 drops every couple of months.
- To apply the oil, add the drops into the palm of your hand. Rub it into your palm and fingers and then work into your beard, moustache and skin.
- You can also apply the oil directly to your beard and then rub it in with your hands, or comb it through with a brush or comb.
- If you are going to use a brush to apply the oil, it is advised that you use a boar bristle brush. This is a brush made from natural hair meaning that it evenly distributes the oil across the length of the hair and it effectively retains the oil. Using a brush to apply the oil also provides you with the opportunity to groom your beard which will detangle it and keep it soft.
- You should apply the oil in the morning before taking a shower, and at night before going to bed.
The best way to store your top beard oil is in a cool, dry and dark location such as a cupboard. Oil doesn’t like light, heat or oxygen. By exposing it to these elements you will diminish its shelf life. The best temperature to store oil is at 57 degrees, 70 degrees is the maximum sustainable temperature.
Beard oil typically comes in a glass container. If for any reason you have to change the bottle make sure that it is glass.
Do not put it in a plastic container; the chemicals in the plastic can bleed into the oil. Avoid containers made out of iron or copper, these are referred to as reactive metals, combined with the oil a chemical reaction may occur making the oil unsafe.
Always make sure that you replace the lid after using the oil, contact with oxygen will impair the quality of the oil making it less effective.
So you have purchased a number of oils and none of them is really to your liking. Maybe you don’t like certain smells, or maybe they are too heavy. Whatever the problem is, you can rectify it easily.
If you want to make a homemade beard oil you can. The process is simple and easy to learn. All that is required is that you mix together the various oils of your choice. You will have to spend some time experimenting to find out what best suits you in terms of the scent and the overall effectiveness.
There are some basic steps that you will need to follow:
- The first ingredients are going to be your carrier oils. These are the oils that carry the most nutritional benefits. Your carrier oils are the ones mentioned above, coconut, sweet almond and jojoba oil.
- You will then need to add your essential oils which include cederwood, lemongrass, alma, peppermint, and eucalyptus oil.
That is all you will need, carrier oils, and essential oils there are a wide range to choose from, with a little bit of research you will find what suits you best.
Mix the oils that you have chosen together and you will have your own DIY beard oil.
Where to buy beard oil: You can purchase beard oil from a range of different outlets either online, or direct from the store of your choice.
Now that you are armed with everything you need to know about beard oil; how you choose to use it is up to you. If you want to see positive results, you will need to be consistent in using the oils. One week on and one week off is not going to cut it. If you want a healthy, smooth and silky beard whether long or short, you are going to have to use your oil every day.
For best results, you should comb or brush your beard daily.
Despite the fact that all beard oils are made from natural products, if you suffer from specific food allergies, you may want to get the all clear with your physician before you start using any of the oils that have been recommended.
ENJOY YOUR NEW HEALTHY BEARD!